Gas Safety Certificates for Landlords

Landlord Gas Safety Checks

We provide comprehensive servicing of gas appliances for landlords and supply a Landlord Gas Safety Certificate. We work in partnership with many local estate agents looking after their property lettings.  We are qualified for all gas appliances both residential and commercial as well as LPG and Natural Gas.

Landlords Duties

  • Check for safety within 12 months of being installed and then at least every twelve months by a Capita registered gas installer.
  • Ensure a gas safety check has been carried out on each appliance and flue within the 12 month period before any tenancy commences and a Capita registered installer must take remedial action (or disconnect) any appliance that fails a safety check.
  • Give a copy of the safety check record or certificate to any new tenant before they move in or to an existing tenant(s) within 28 days
  • Keep a record of the safety check made on each appliance for two years.
  • Ensure that gas appliances, fittings, and flues are maintained in a safe condition.
  • Keep your tenants informed about their responsibilities whilst living in your property

Gas Advice for Landlords from Health and Safety Executive

Where a gas supply exists to any rented property, landlords must have a clear understanding of their responsibilities in relation to gas supply and appliances.

As a landlord, you are legally responsible for the safety of your tenants in relation to gas safety. By law you must:

  • Repair and maintain gas pipework, flues and appliances in safe condition
  • Ensure an annual gas safety check on each appliance and flue
  • Keep a record of each safety check
  • You should also keep your tenants informed about their responsibilities while they are staying in your property.

Health and Safety Executive Website

The Gas Safety Regulations make it mandatory that gas appliances must be maintained in a safe condition at all times. A landlord or agent may not contract out of his obligations under the Regulations by including a clause in the tenancy agreement and a breach of the Regulations is a criminal offense enforced by the Health & Safety Executive

Landlords are required, by law, to have all gas appliances checked every 12 months, and provide the inspection report to the tenant. Using an illegal gas fitter can put lives at risk.

Faulty appliances can cause carbon monoxide (CO) leaks. CO is an odourless, colourless and tasteless gas which is highly poisonous and can kill within hours, or cause serious illness through long-term exposure. Symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning include headaches, dizziness, nausea, breathlessness and loss of consciousness.

There are additional precautions you can take in addition to carrying out annual gas safety checks. Landlords can protect their tenants from the threat of carbon monoxide poisoning by installing carbon monoxide detectors in their properties. The detector will warn tenants of a leak. Landlords should also show their tenants where the emergency gas shut off valve is, in case of emergency.

Only a Gas Safe registered engineer should carry out gas work.

The Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1998

 

Gas Safety Checks in Bournemouth, Southampton and the New Forest

Stephen Harris can quote, advise and carry out landlords gas safety checks. We ptovide this service in Bournemouth,, Southampton and surrounding areas as well as:

New Milton, Christchurch, Bournemouth, Poole, Ringwood, Lymington, Burley, Brockenhurst and Southampton area. We also have clients throughout Dorset and Hampshire stretching as far as Dorchester, Winchester, Salisbury and London.

Accounts

Accounts Line: 01425 614429
10.00 - 14.00 Monday, Tuesday, Thursday & Friday. Closed Wednesday
Accounts-Payments-Cards

We accept payment by cheque, debit/credit card and bacs.

Telephone

Appointments and Enquiries:
01425 623806

Address

Stephen Harris Gas Plumbing & Heating Ltd
1st Floor
2 Lower Ashley Road
New Milton
Hampshire
BH25 5AD

Testimonials

Boiler Service: First class firm, very friendly staff. Customer in Milford On Sea, 9 January 2012